The Gruesome Shadow

 Written by Ying Ju 9S


I always knew my Mother was somewhat materialistic, but I had never imagined that she

would leave Dad for it. Three years ago, a bankruptcy had befallen above us. We were

forced to move out of our house, so we rented a stuffy flat downtown. It was grim. Mom and

Dad fought a lot – one night however; Mom forcefully packed some bags and yanked me out

of our flat. That was the last night I ever saw Dad.


Every year, during Halloween, the memories of that night dwell inside my mind. Tormenting

me with envy, as I couldn't help but despise those children, who still had parents, who cared.

Halloween used to be my most treasured celebration, Mom and Dad would take me

trick-or-treating in the most terrifying costumes. Our home was embellished with spider

webs, jack-o'-lanterns and skeletons, which spooked small children. At night, we would

watch horror movies, while feasting on our candies until our stomach aches. We were

buoyant and jovial – words which I have not used for sometime.


Thereafter, my eyes locked onto something which I unremembered existed. It was the music

box my father gave me, 'Stars shining bright above you,

Night breezes seem to whisper 'I love you', birds singing in the sycamore tree, dream a little

dream of me...' Nostalgia rushed through my body, as I harked back to the times where I

habitually hearkened to my Father's best-loved song, as a consolation.


I was lost in thoughts, but suddenly I heard a knock 'Who could that be?', I wondered.

'TRICK OR TREAT!', a young boy said with enthusiasm. ' Oh, I'm sorry we don't have any

candies...' The young boy left, dispirited, as his Mother gave me a side-eye. Disappointed at

myself, I dashed inside filled with self-consciousness, at the same time, I saw my Mother

attired in a lacy scarlet-red dress. ' Where are you off to, Mom?' ' I'm meeting up with Jacob,

if you're hungry, there's food in the freezer.', Mom said with total composure. Each word was

as powerful as a cannon striking my heart, how could my own Mother say this? Thus, I

indignantly said, ' Do you even hear yourself? Do you even feel the slightest bit of guilt,

knowing that you were the prime reason as to why this family is broken?'


' I did what I had for you, Esme, your father was destitute. Do you really think you would still

be living in such a fancy mansion if I hadn't left your Dad? No, you will still be in that

grotesque and grotty flat.' My Mother said without irresolution, like a zephyr, she was out the

door. Depressed, Confused, and exasperated I stomped upstairs – weeping myself to sleep.

In hopes of forgetting the fact that my Mother was seeing another guy, who bought the very

mansion I'm living in.


'Ssss...so cold...', I murmured while endeavoring to find my AC remote on my bedside table.

Concomitantly, I discerned something in the opposite direction of my bed – those maleficent

yellow eyes – staring at me, as it grinned revealing its razor-sharp teeth. An ice-cold feeling

rushed through my body, making me feel vulnerable as my body hairs stood up. The shadow

made no sound, all I could hear was my AC. Unable to move my body, I stared at the

shadow, hyperventilating. I was never the type of person to run in menacing situations, I was

like a chess piece, impotent and dependent. Its eyes are still piercing through my soul, and

the worst part was... I had no idea what's to come. 'This is it, this is where I'll die...', I whimpered as

tears fell from my eyes. However, in a blink of an eye, the shadowy figure was

gone.


I leaped out of my bed without any dithering, still trying to comprehend what I just witnessed

as I ran to my Mother's bed room. ' MOM WAKE UP, I SWEAR I JUST SAW A

SHADOW-GHOST!' My mom looked at me vexed, ' Ghosts aren't real, now please leave me

alone, so I can sleep.'


'You never believe anything I've said, if I could, I would've never talked to you. I wished you

weren't my Mother. I wished I was with Dad instead of you.'


' THAT'S IT, ESME, YOU LEAVE THIS HOUSE IMMEDIATELY FOR ALL I CARE! I wish you

weren't my daughter, and that I had a new and better family without you or your Dad.'


Subsequently, the same shadowy figure reappeared in front of my Mom's bed. Although,

now, it had a more distinct face and its body wasn't translucent anymore. The shadow-ghost

appeared colossal and even more eerie. Nevertheless, it still had those same yellow eyes

and blood-curdling teeth. My feet began to tremble like they were noodles, my body was

paralyzed, and the thought of death persisted in my mind.


'Hunny come on, we have to go!', my Mom warned, as she proceeded to seize my hand. We

fled down the stairs, but of course, it was no match compared to the shadow's supernatural

and expeditious speed. Lights were flickering uncontrollably, as the shadow-ghost made a

shrieking roar. Objects started to quiver uncontrollably, that was when the shadow knocked

the music box my Father gave me. Thud. 'Stars shining bright above you...' Nonetheless, in

lieu of receiving solace from the song, it made the atmosphere even more uncanny and

unsettling. My nerves were as tense as violin strings.


The atypical thing about this shadow-ghost was that its appearance kept on transforming. It

became more monstrous and enormous than the last time I had seen it, which was peculiar

since it doesn't seem like it was devouring any sustenance.


I was pondering on this mystery – until I espied my Mother levitating in the air. Streams of

blood were dripping down her eyes, her bones contorted in an extramundane way. Her

agonising screams haunted me, because I knew there was nothing I could do. Ain't it funny,

how in situations like these, all that we can remember about a particular person are those

memories that we hold onto and reminisce in our dark days? Dossiers of my Mother and I

played in my head like movie records – one where I first started my menstruation, another

where I first started needing to wear undergarments, and lastly when we had a great

Halloween together.


' Mom, I don't know if you can hear this but, I love you. I'm sorry for saying you weren't my

Mother. I love you so so much.', I wailed as all my melancholy turned into pure fury. I

grabbed a nearby vase and threatened the shadow-ghost who was responsible for this –

though, this time its body was back to its pellucid self. That's when everything clicked, it got

more vigorous from negative emotions! I wasn't frightened anymore, thenceforth, the

shadow-ghost gradually disappeared.


I charged to where Mom was about to drop, there she laid on my lap, teardrops flowing down

her eyes onto her cheeks. Mom did not say anything, but she only cried. Strangely, I knew

exactly what she was saying – it was the first time in a while since I had a genuine

conversation with my Mother.


'Five years after the encounter, you got back together with Dad. Despite the fact that we still

live in the same flat, our financial crisis has diminished steadily, and soon we will be able to

move to a more secure neighborhood! Dad and I love you very much, Mom, and I hope

you're as happy as we are.' – I wrote a letter to my Mother of what I thought would happen, if

she was still here with us. I placed the letter near her grave as I hugged Dad back,

mourning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hell Hound